Pages

Tuesday 20 July 2010

And the nominees are...


This year's Mercury nominees are out. Who will it be to scoop the much lauded music prize?

Biffy Clyro
Corinne Bailey Rae
Foals
I Am Kloot
Laura Marling
Dizzee Rascal
Villagers
Paul Weller
Kit Downes Trio
Mumford & Sons
Wild Beasts
The xx

I reckon The XX will be like last year's Horrors, the band everyone puts their money on but who don't win the race at the end of the day. Still, saying that it's probably worth a few bob at the bookies (Just in case!). Foals, Laura Marling, Wild Beasts and Mumford and Sons have all produced excellent albums in the past year and could be well in with a chance. Then I Am Kloot have been around for ages and in the same vein of Elbow's 2008 win deserve some recognition. Dizzee Rascal - really?! I get that the Mercury Prize celebrates the album of the year but surely even though he's a grime-pop king, he's way mainstream for it now. It would be a bit like Kings of Leon getting it for their Sex on Fire (Only By The Night) effort. Bonkers! Just an opinion though. I'd certainly like to see Foals or Laura Marling win as Total Life Forever and I Speak Because I Can have been on repeat on my stereo.

No comments:

Post a Comment